At Thanet Primary we are all scientists!
At Thanet we are all scientists! By the time our pupils leave us we want them to be knowledgeable, excited, curious and analytical about the desciplines of biology, chemistry and physics. In order to do this, we ensure that:
- Science at Thanet is hands-on and practical; it is inspiring and challenging for all children
- Children's scientific knowledge is applied to the real world and new situations including planning and completing their own investigations
- Children understand and use scientific vocabulary
- Children ask and answer questions to explore and understand the world they live in
- Gaps in learning are identified and addressed through effective use of assessment
- Teachers give effective feedback in order for children to make the best progress in their learning
At Thanet, we understand that science has changed our lives. We believe that all pupils should be taught essential aspects of the knowledge, methods, processes and uses of science.
The emphasis within the National Curriculum is to ensure a high-quality science education is in place to provide the foundations for understanding the world through the specific disciplines of biology, chemistry and physics.
From the beginnings of scientific teaching in our nursery, we strive to build up a body of key foundational knowledge and concepts. Pupils are also encouraged to recognise the power of rational explanation and develop a sense of excitement and curiosity about natural phenomena.
Children will be taught to understand how science can be used to explain what is occurring, predict how things will behave, and analyse causes. They will be given opportunities to show this knowledge and understanding through practical investigations.