PE develops a child’s knowledge, skill and understanding, so that they can perform with increasing competence and confidence in a range of physical activities. A varied curriculum is in place to support this, with activities including dance, athletics, gymnastics, games, swimming and water safety and outdoor adventure activities.
Physical education promotes an understanding in children of their bodies in action. It involves thinking, selecting and applying skills and promotes positive attitudes towards a healthy lifestyle. Thus we enable children to make informed choices about physical activities throughout their lives.
Through the teaching of PE Thanet Primary School intends to:
- Enable children to develop and explore physical skills with increasing control and co-ordination.
- Encourage children to work and play with others in a range of group situations.
- Develop the way children perform skills and apply rules and conventions for different activities.
- Show children how to improve the quality and control of their performance.
- Teach children to recognise and describe how their bodies feel during exercise.
- Develop the children’s enjoyment of physical activity through creativity and imagination.
- Develop an understanding in children of how to succeed in a range of physical activities and how to evaluate their own success.
- Assess pupils learning, analyse and interpret the results to inform future planning and lessons.