Our aims in maths are to develop:
- • An understanding of the important mathematical concepts and an ability to make connections within mathematics.
- • A broad range of skills in using and applying maths
- Fluent knowledge and recall of number facts and the number system.
- The ability to show initiative in solving problems in a wide range of contexts, including the new or unusual.
- The ability to think independently and to persevere when faced with challenges, showing a confidence of success.
- The ability to embrace the value of learning from mistakes and false starts.
- The ability to reason, generalise and make sense of solutions.
- Fluency in performing written and mental calculations and mathematical techniques.
- A wide range of mathematical vocabulary.
- A commitment to and passion for the subject.
Mathematical skills are developed through the use of Numicon and Big Maths/Little Big Maths. (Select the Big Maths tab on the left-hand side for resources and further information.)