Our aims in reading are to develop:
- Excellent phonic knowledge and skills.
- Fluency and accuracy in reading across a wide range of contexts throughout the curriculum.
- Knowledge of an extensive and rich vocabulary.
- Excellent comprehension and understanding of texts.
- The motivation to read for both study and for pleasure.
- Extensive knowledge by reading a rich and varied range of texts.
Our aims in writing are to develop:
- The ability to write fluently and with interesting detail on a number of topics throughout the curriculum.
- A vivid imagination enabling readers to engage with and enjoy their writing.
- A highly developed vocabulary and an excellent knowledge of writing techniques to extend detail or description.
- Well-organised and structured pieces of writing, which includes a variety of sentence structures.
- Excellent transcription skills that ensure their writing is fluent, legible, neat and well presented with correct punctuation and spelling used at all times
- A love of writing and an appreciation of its educational, cultural and entertainment values.
Phonics skills are developed predominantly through the use of Reading is taught through a Reading Squad guided reading approach in KS1 and through whole class reading in KS2. Books are sent home daily and reading at home is rewarded through our Reading Rainbow scheme. Oxford Owl can also be accessed at home - a website with a large number of books that can be read online.
Thanet has been accredited for the Reading Recovery programme with its own dedicated specialist ECAR teacher (Every Child a Reader.) We also have support staff trained to support and improve pupils' language and communication skills.