Our aims in reading are to develop:
- Excellent phonic knowledge and skills.
- Fluency and accuracy in reading across a wide range of contexts throughout the curriculum.
- Knowledge of an extensive and rich vocabulary.
- Excellent comprehension and understanding of texts.
- The motivation to read for both study and for pleasure.
- Extensive knowledge by reading a rich and varied range of texts.
Our aims in writing are to develop:
- The ability to write fluently and with interesting detail on a number of topics throughout the curriculum.
- A vivid imagination enabling readers to engage with and enjoy their writing.
- A highly developed vocabulary and an excellent knowledge of writing techniques to extend detail or description.
- Well-organised and structured pieces of writing, which includes a variety of sentence structures.
- Excellent transcription skills that ensure their writing is fluent, legible, neat and well presented with correct punctuation and spelling used at all times
- A love of writing and an appreciation of its educational, cultural and entertainment values.
Phonics, reading and writing skills are developed through the use of Letters and Sounds and the Oxford Reading Tree as the school’s preferred schemes. We introduced the Read, Write Inc Spelling Programme into KS2 from January 2015. The Federation is accredited for the Reading Recovery programme with its own dedicated specialist ECAR teacher (Every Child a Reader.) This teacher also takes the lead on the Talk of the Town Programme, delivered throught the Communication Trust and designed to improve pupils' language and communication skills. A dedicated speech and language therapist works in the school for one day each week.
For more information click on the links below
Link: Read, Write Inc
Link: Talk of the Town